Classical Conversations families are raising a generation of leaders with Christ-centered worldviews. Let’s model for our students the importance of establishing open communication with elected officials. We can effect change!
A fun and easy way to get involved is through your state’s Capitol Day or Day with the Legislator. Ohio’s Capitol Day is October 18, 2022. Check here to see if your state’s Homeschool Capitol Day is published!
Here are some resources to get you started. Your state homeschool organization may have additional resources on its website. Also, here are a few tips to prepare for Homeschool Day at the Capitol and to meet your state legislators:
- Find your state’s House Representatives and Senators and their contact information.
- Begin, and continue, to pray for them.
- Make an appointment to meet with the legislator or their staffer. You do not need to identify yourself as a homeschooler or bring up homeschooling unless you want to. This will be a very brief appointment, so you must be prepared.
- On your visit. Introduce yourself and thank them for meeting with you. Know what you want and be clear about how the lawmaker can help. Don’t minimize the power of statistics and personal testimonies. Capitol Canary suggests that you leave them with a story they can tell at a dinner party.
- Follow up. Send a personal, hand-written note to thank them for the meeting. Show your appreciation and let them know you are praying for them, even if you have differing opinions.
- Extend an invitation to your legislator to visit your homeschooling event.