“Don’t wait until you are ready to take action. Instead, take action to be ready.” —Jensen Siaw
Perhaps you’d love to start communicating with your elected officials on a regular basis but are at a loss for what to discuss. Consider these possible topics:
- Research School/Parent Choice or ESAs
- Parental rights regarding medical decisions or general parental rights
- First and Second Amendment rights
Also, keep in mind:
- Always speak graciously.
- They work for you. They want to hear from you.
- Be brief. Be clear.
- Open communication and relationship-building takes time. Leave them with a good impression and let them know you appreciate their time and will contact them again.
- If they ask you a question that you don’t have the answer to, be honest. If you are able, find the answer and provide it in your follow-up. You can say something like, “That’s a very good question. I would like to investigate that and get back to you. Thank you for asking.”